・Tours will be canceled when Hirayu Gate is closed due to adverse weather conditions or accumulated rainfall. If we decide to cancel the tour in advance, we will inform you via email by 19:00 on the day before the tour, or by 8:00 on the tour date. Please check your email before you come.
*We may cancel during the tour in the event of sudden changes in the weather conditions.
Temperature: There is an altitude difference of 1,018 metres between the start point of 1,684m (Hirayu Pass) and the end point of 2,702m (Tatamidaira).
As the temperature drops by 0.6 degrees Celsius for every 100m of elevation gained, there is a wide gap of over 10 degrees between start and finish. Fog and clouds are common on the mountain, and can descend suddenly. The temperature at the end point (Tatamidaira), is usually around 10 degrees in summer, and under 10 degrees in autumn.
We recommend wearing layered clothing to cope with this temperature fluctuation, and a warm hat (beanie) should be worn under your helmet to protect your head and ears from the cold wind.
Climate: Mountain weather can change often and fast, regardless of a good weather forecast or fine conditions at the start of the tour. Sudden rain, fog or thunder are always possible. Accordingly, to ensure guest safety, the tour will be conducted with support staff driving a vehicle, which will follow your tour group.
Wild animals: Mount Norikura provides habitat for Asiatic black bears. The bears are not dangerous if we maintain an appropriate distance. With the safety measures which we implement , there is no need for excessive alarm or worry; our support staff will continuously monitor for any sign of potential danger, and ‘bear bells’ will be used to encourage any bears to keep their distance.
<<What to bring>>
<Essential> *Required during the tour
- Rain jacket and pants (rental is available). Please ensure that the top and bottoms are separated. Ponchos are not suitable as the hem can become caught in the bicycle wheels.
- Warm clothing (e.g. fleece jacket, gloves, warm hat (beanie), layered clothing suitable for cold weather); the temperature at Tatamidaira and the top of Mt. Norikura can dip under 10 degrees.
- Light backpack (rental is available) to carry rain gear, drinks, snacks, etc.
- Drinks: please use the bottle holder on the bicycle or carry in your backpack.
<Recommended> *Useful after the tour
- A change of clothes, socks, and shoes: we may be caught in sudden heavy rain. As rainwear may not give 100% protection, we recommend carrying a full change of clothing, particularly if you intend to explore around the mountain peak after the tour. You can use the changing room at Ginrenso Inn after the tour.
Sunscreen, sunglasses, insect repellent, a towel, snacks (dried fruits, chocolate, nuts, etc.)